Trends I'm Tired Of/Don't Like/Don't Get: (and if you like/own these things don't think I'm judging you! Sometimes I don't like things until I see them in a different context then I'm like nevermind, it's totally cool and I'm obsessed now)
- mid-century modern: Some of it's cool I guess, but it's not really my style. And everyone seems to be super obsessed with it. Why? All those skinny legs on furniture? No thanks.
- ugly shoes (looking at you Birkenstock): These are not cute in any way shape or form. I'm sure they are very comfortable, but you are not going to convince me these ever "make" an outfit. They always uglify it. ALWAYS. (Okay wait, if your feet are really tiny, all shoes will be cute just because making everything smaller makes it adorable. So that is the only exception!). why can't we have comfortable shoes that are also cute???
- weird sleeves on tops: Stahp it with the off the shoulder/one shoulder/ruffle shoulder everything.
- unicorns and unicorn-inspired food/apparel/hair: I swear everyone has that pastel lavender/gray hair.
- mermaids: I'm totally calling it, there is going to be a live-action mermaid movie coming out soon.
- normcore: Think Seinfeld during his show Seinfeld. Otherwise known to me as My Dad. Who knew my dad would be so fashionable. He also wears Birkenstock's by the way. This term may have evolved past what I understand it to be by now though.
- The Bachelor: I vaguely remember watching the first season with my sister way back but wasn't into it. Just like I've never been into any reality show. Way too scripted, acted by piss poor actors and heavily edited. How is this show still on???
- avocado on toast: To be honest I've never eaten avocado this way but I'm not really a toast or breakfast fan to begin with.
- Beyonce: I don't get the craze, I just don't. I don't dislike her, but I don't understand the pedestal people have put her on.
Trends I'm Enjoying
- marble: Dang I kinda want a white marble counter now for the kitchen. My husband just smirked and said "good luck with that" so I think I will have to settle for a platter or cutting board. Also, marble is much higher maintenance than granite and that is a huge negative for me. BUT IT'S SO PRETTY.
- subway tile: I usually see this as a backsplash. I don't see this working for any of my bathrooms, though.
- succulents: There are so many and they are just so cute!
- macarons: Delicious and adorable, what more is there to say. Also, one of Neil's cousin's fiance has a macaron baking business on the side and we are hoping to get a super cheap discount on the ones that don't make the cut. I have yet to meet her, but you should follow her Instagram anyways, FOR ALL THE CUTENESS.
- copper: Copper utensils, copper fixtures, copper accents... I love it! I've been looking into getting a copper bar set, but I don't need one. I could also be confusing copper with brass...
- naked cakes: I love me some icing but I really dig the rustic, simple look.
- athleisure: Wearing yoga pants but with a purpose kind of look. It seems so simple and comfortable, yet still fashionable. I would like to incorporate this look into my wardrobe somehow.
- fake animal heads/antler decor: This is a good example of what I like.
- pineapples: Yay! Each year they seem to just keep gaining popularity.
- nailhead details: I wish I could buy a new couch right now before this style goes away.
Trends I've Noticed But Don't Have Any Strong Feelings For One Way Or The Other:
- crystals: Like actual crystals. Crystals for decor, for healing, for spa treatments. I'm leaning towards do-not-like.
- smoothie/acai bowls: Instead of a cup, it's in a bowl. Like a cold, fruit soup.
- food roses: Usually avocados.
- smudge sticks: Those dried sage (I think?) bundles you burn to cleanse the space.
- that ikea fur rug: This thing.
- that ikea storage cart: This thing is all over the place in all the colors!!!