Sunday, February 19, 2017

Sunday Confessions | 2-19-17


I Confess

The winds were pretty strong on Friday from our "storm" and lots of trees and fences fell over. On one freeway, people were stuck there for an hour before they could clear the debris. Last week there was flooding and mudslides and roads being washed away. Highway 17 needs to be re-thunk (i know "thunk" isn't the past tense of think) somehow! Highway 17 is the highway through the mountains to Santa Cruz which has lots of twists and turns and steep cliffs on the sides. It can be very dangerous to drive at night and during the winter. Never know when the mud is going to crash into your car! That freeway is always busy, people live in Santa Cruz but commute to the valley for work, and on the weekends, everyone from the valley wants to go to the beach.

Here's a link if you are interested. (photo number 4 is especially scary!)

I was a little worried about my own home because there are several large trees near my new fences, and the drivers at work were reporting all the fallen trees they had seen (the airport was without power for awhile because one fell on some power lines) but luckily no damage for me! The wind did blow open the lid and doors from our little plastic shed, which my husband thought I did, ha.

I Confess

Anybody else with Monday off? I do not but my husband does. Of course. He gets all the days.

I Confess

Taxes done! And we owe for the first time. Not a great deal but still. This does not bode well for future taxes.

Oh, let's see if this works, my husband sent me a video of a squirrel setting off the camera's motion sensor. They like to bury things in my plants:

video

so the camera can pick up a squirrel but it can't pick up our neighbors driving over our yard. got it.

10 comments:

  1. California seems crazy to live in. You guys have to deal with so much natural disaster stuff, just like it's a normal thing to deal with, when it's totally not. Most of us just take nature/global warming not f'ing our world up every day for granted. Californians got grit is what I guess I'm trying to say! Hopefully the tax thing is a fluke! Maybe if you are on the edge get them done next year by an accountant who can fix it for you?! ;-0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I've lived in California all my life so I never thought of it that way. Most of the time it's okay I think!!! But yeah, right now its a bit... well, the sun has been out a few days so the flooding has chilled out. But there was a neighborhood that had to be rescued by boat, and some poor horses that got stuck in their stable up to their chests in water, and some homeless people that climbed into trees and got stuck. It's been weird. I did get a day off unexpectedly since they closed down a freeway and the one I normally take was a parking lot it was so crowded and it was going to take me forever to get to work.

      My husband has been doing well at work, so they reward it, so I don't see us not owing any time soon. We've just reached that line of making "too much" money. I know it's not from my end, ha.

      Delete
    2. OMG were the horses okay?

      Delete
    3. Er, I should ask about the people too.

      Delete
    4. i'm unsure if they all made it... the animals, not the people. There were about 28 horses but I think they only saved four. I haven't been keeping super up to date so I hope I'm wrong. We do have A LOT of homeless, about 10,000 in the bay area or so. You see the camps everywhere, and unfortunately they made a lot of the camps near water.

      Delete
  2. p.s. looking forward to more adventures from Squirrel Cam! :-0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told my husband I want all the cute videos! They don't happen very often.

      Delete
  3. Okay, you were SO RIGHT about pic #4! (I've always "thunk" that thunk should be a word.) :)
    The motion sensor camera video was awesome! How cute that squirrels use your plants as one of their little safe deposit boxes like a dog burying a bone for later? You should start leaving surprises in there and seeing what happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These squirrels like to bury walnuts and avocado seeds everywhere. They seem to forget the walnuts all the time... I have random walnut trees trying to sprout here and there. I even found one walnut in the hut with my turtle, ha. Well, off to the side. I put out a basket of walnuts for them, then forgot, and by the time I remembered it was empty. I put it in sight of the kitchen window but it was dark by the time I got home. I didn't want them to be hungry this cold winter!

      Delete