Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Sugared Cranberry Garnish

These take a bit of time (at least 12 hours) but they are delicious! I made them specifically to garnish cocktails, but people ended up just munching on them through out the evening as a snack.

The key is to do lots of light layers of sugar, to get an even coating, but I got a bit impatient so mine ended up clumping a bit. Okay, a lot bit. 

I did these two days before the party and I put the leftovers in the rest of the sugar and put them in the fridge. They stayed fine for about a week.

Ingredients

  • 6 oz fresh cranberries
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar (but if I'm honest I think I used a lot more)
  • 1 cup water

Directions

  1. Rinse and pick through the cranberries: toss stems and icky ones
  2. Pat dry
  3. Make the simple syrup: simmer 1 cup of water with 1 cup of sugar until sugar dissolves and the syrup is crystal clear. 
  4. Pour into a heat proof bowl and let cool for about fifteen minutes.
  5. Stir in cranberries, cover and sit in fridge for a minimum of 8 hours or overnight. Stir them once or twice to make sure all of them soak evenly.
  6. Set up a wire cooling rack over a baking sheet
  7. Remove the cranberries with a slotted spoon and rest them on the rack
  8. Sprinkle sugar lightly over them, turning to get all sides
  9. Then roll each berry in a bowl of sugar, trying to get a light coat
  10. Return the berries to the baking sheet and let dry for an hour


8 comments:

  1. Ahhhh so cool, thanks! So are they a little sticky from the syrup when you sugar them? I really want to try this! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to remember how they were, but I don't remember stickiness, but they must have been to have the sugar stick! I used a spoon to maneuver them so I never actually touched them. The actually involved part is pretty minimal, I'm just use to much easier projects, so they are really not that hard to make. I'm actually thinking of making them again this year! Partly since they kept for a good while after, so I could keep munching on them.

      Delete
  2. OMG those look delicious! I will probably never make them, but if I'm ever at a holiday party at your place, I will definitely enjoy them! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a bit more involved than I normally like to do, but they are tasty! I mean, they are stupid simple, just time consuming. They definitely get tastier the drunker you are ;)

      Delete
  3. I've never had fresh cranberries. For some reason, I was always under the impression that things need to happen to them before they can be eaten - like boiled or soaked or something - that you can't just eat them fresh off the bush (they do grow on bushes, right?). Do cranberries have pits? Or seeds? So much I apparently don't know about cranberries....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, apparently we all need a lesson in cranberries because I don't actually confidently know much about them either.

      Delete
    2. Cranberries can be eaten in their raw form... but I wouldn't recommend it, ha. They are VERY VERY TART. Even soaking them over night in the sugar and coating them with more sugar, they are still tart. Not sure how people figured out how to eat them. They grow on bushes, then they flood the field and the berries come floating to the top and they harvest them off the water, kind of cool actually. They are very buoyant and bouncy. They are firm, but no pits in them, just tiny seeds... they are kind of like blueberries? but not?

      I really like the taste of cranberry, Togos has a yummy turkey and cranberry sandwich that I like to get sometimes, so good.

      Delete
    3. @becky ha, really??? are eating cranberries a more California thing cause my one friend that moved from Texas tried to eat one straight out of the bag and her husband said don't do that and she said it would be fine but it wasn't fine but she ate it cause she didn't want to prove him right HAHAHAHAHAHA

      Delete