Sunday, July 17, 2016

Sunday Confessions 7-17-16

The United States of Becky

I confess: 

I bought a bunch of mint, and by that I mean a singular bunch not like a cart full, but I don't know why. I made a careful (or so I thought) list of all the ingredients I needed for the next few weeks of meals I was going to prepare. After going home and writing it out to separate the produce, I was left with some random mint. It was handwritten by me for reasons unknown.


I confess: 

I had limes left over from fourth of July weekend so decided to make some limeade (which I changed to mint limeade cause, you know, that mint) and a key lime pie. The instructions seemed simple and clear and YET I STILL F'D UP. But still ended up with a delicious pie, so there's that. Here are the steps I was supposed to follow:

  • make the crust, bake
  • make the filling, bake
  • make the whipped topping

So simple. So.... I get through step one just fine. Then step two I pour the condensed milk into the mixing bowl, and then proceed to pour the whipping cream in. Which was for step three. Which should have been the LAST ingredient I reached for. Dang. I try to see if I can pour it out but it's all mixed with the condensed milk. So... I just say fuck it, let's make this work (cause the other recipe I was thinking of doing had sour cream in the filling, so adding dairy couldn't be the worst thing right???). I cooked it a little longer than the recipe called for and used the leftover egg whites to make a meringue topping instead of the whipped cream one since I had no more cream. Which actually worked out better cause now I didn't have to throw out the egg whites. The middle turned out a little bit loosey goosey, but tasty. So now I want to try the first recipe as planned, but with a meringue topping, and the recipe with the sour cream and see what I like best. Probably the one with sour cream cause really.

I confess: 

I don't know why I've been MIA lately with blogging. It's hot. So I guess that's the reason.

I confess:

Also, my neighbors moved out (you know the ones throwing knives and shit) and are renting the house out for $3400/month which is apparently the price for renting houses now. WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK. So if your rent should only be 30% of your income, you have to be pulling in over 10 grand a month. Seems totes reasonable guys.

This is my pie. Look at that fabulous meringue guys. IT'S LIKE PERFECT. Ignore the goo.
 My pie after it chilled overnight. Filling looks better.

6 comments:

  1. Sometimes accidents work out ok in cooking, glad it was still tasty! One of the reasons I can't imagine living in NYC again is justifying the crazy rent prices, and I don't think we could ever afford to buy there. Good news about the crazy neighbors leaving though! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just hope whomever rents is quiet buuuuut i'm thinking the only way people afford the rent here is putting a family per room so that means lots of people and lots of cars.

      Delete
  2. That meringue, though!!!

    I've been MIA on my blog, too. The heat is as good a reason as any - also, all three of us got colds at the same time, so there's that. Also, so tired all the time for some reason.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my meringue makes me want to bake more :) or at least just make more meringue. all the meringue kisses for everyone!

      Delete
  3. What? I totally think you and Neil should rent that place - and another, just to ensure quiet. I mean, disposable income for the win, right?
    Ugh. What the everlovinghell!?!?!

    Cool that the pie turned out well, because I honestly would've cried and probably started over.
    Or not started at all because doing a pie from scratch is complicated. Kudos to you.

    Also, sometimes it just is too hot to blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did start to cry just a little bit! Until my brain was like who the fuck cares, this pie isn't FOR anything, just for fun, so it doesn't matter how it turns out.

      San Jose is getting CRAZY expensive, and I thought it was expensive five years ago. Oh naive past Heather. I could not afford to buy my house in today's market, which is so lame. I mean, unless I wanted to sell. And move to a different state. That's what a lot of Californians do, sell and move to Oregon :D :D Oregon hates Californians for this. (Even though most Oregonians were past Californians! Losers.) Some homeowners in Oregon will not sell their house to you if they know you are from California.

      Delete