Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Weekend Snapshots | 8

Weekend Snapshots number 8 brought to you by a very clingy baby kat. She did not like me being gone most of Saturday. You should link up too! Hosted by 3twentysix and Reinventing Jessica.

SATURDAY
I did a lot of my weekend chores Friday night since I was going to spend the day in Santa Cruz with my younger sister for her birthday. My awesome husband dropped me off at the bus station downtown in the morning and I met my sister there.

They were having their annual Clam Chowder Cook-off at the boardwalk which we weren't too sure if we wanted to participate in because of the crowds. Sure enough, once we got down there, the line for the tasting kit was SO LONG. Online said that this day is one of the busiest days for the boardwalk, including SUMMER. Dang.

So instead of standing in line for the tasting kit, we decided to just check out the booths and then head to the wharf. The booths were so creative in both design and name! I really like to see other peoples creative sides. I didn't get very many photos, the sun was causing a huge glare on my phone and I really couldn't see what I was taking. So a few had my finger in the way. Whoops. How does that even happen???

We walked the length of the wharf and decided to lunch at the fish market counter. I ordered the crab sandwich (loose crab meat mixed with just a bit of mayo layered onto pickles and lettuce) and fries and my sister ordered the calamari. I would totally order this sandwich again. I don't know if it was the ambiance (we found a nice bench in the shade to look over the ocean) or what, but I ate the whole thing. MORE PLEASE.

After we were done eating, we walked back to downtown, bought some cupcakes and coffee then browsed the shops. We signed a petition for the Santa Cruz animal shelter to become a No Kill shelter (how are they not one???).

My legs were so sore after! I checked my phone and we had walked over six miles, which is great, but I'm thinking the soreness is a sign I need to work out again.

My husband picked me up from the station and brought me home. The Shanes were already there playing magic, Bob came by later. We got a taco pack from Taco Bell and just hung out a bit.

SUNDAY
Yard work needed to be done for sure after all the rain and sun. My brother let us borrow his lawn mower, so my husband actually helped and mowed the back yard for me! I was going to do it, but it was giving me trouble, so he ended up just doing it. I helped by digging out hidden branches in the overgrown grass and scrapping out the grass from the blade when it jammed.

The compost bin wasn't full so I decided to weed the side of the house to fill it. While I'm doing this, I hear the same neighbors from last time fighting once again. Do they fight more than I think they do? I'm not often outside or have the living room window open so who knows. I hope not. I mean, dang people, it's 10 in the morning on a Sunday, how are you already so mad?



 (Fun fact: scenes of the Lost Boys was filmed in Santa Cruz! Another movie that has been filmed there: Killer Klowns from Outer Space)





9 comments:

  1. Oh how I loved The Lost Boys! Love all of the creative stall names! Santa Cruz looks nice and laid back. I have never mown a lawn in my life (I don't know how it's possible either, mostly I am an urban rat!), that lawn looks like a beast! Pretty tree, though - flowers in February, how lush!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Santa Cruz is really laid back, not as much as it's sister city San Diego, but close!

      This would have been my first time mowing a lawn, and I really wanted to try, but the lawnmower was being weird and then my husband got into it.

      "winter" is pretty much over here, so everything is green and blooming!

      Delete
  2. That clam cook-off looks really cool! My SIL's company does a chili cook-off that's really similar and we try to go every year. I want one of those crab sandwiches - sounds divine! I'll sometimes buy imitation crab at the grocery and make a sandwich kinda like this. But imitation crab is no substitute for real crab.

    I didn't know parts of the Lost Boys was filmed in Santa Cruz! I love finding out fun little facts like that.

    Our back yard pretty much looks just like yours. Dennis was looking at it the other day and was like, "How am I suppose to mow this, all the clover has bloomed and there are flowers everywhere - I can't cut down the flowers!" But we're starting to get concerned that we'll loose Jack in all the growth. "Winter" is also over down here - I hope we don't skip spring this year - I'm not ready for the Houston summer heat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love imitation crab meat, which my husband finds amusing since I love real crab so much. They are so not the same, but who cares! Delicious is delicious.

      Oh, clover flowers are just lovely! I have a little patch that has bloomed against the fence that we have left alone. Too pretty!

      Delete
  3. 1.) I want that sandwich right now! I am one of those people that when I do travel (even short distances) I like to try local stuff or at least stuff I can't get in my hometown. If I ever take a trip to California, I will have lots of cool places to check out. Mm...I should start getting more adventurous with food.

    2.) Killer Klowns From Outer Space is the shit. Looks like you guys had so much fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like crab, you will LOVE this sandwich! I'm already trying to plan when I can get one again :) Neil use to be really picky with food, but he has really branched out. Baby steps!

      Depending on which part of California you visit (*cough* SAN JOSE) I can help you out with a list of cool places. Or places that I think are cool.

      My ex-brother in laws neighbor (in Santa Cruz) was an extra in the movie Killer Klowns, she was a clown in the background. Ha, another fun fact ;)

      Delete
    2. Not to be weird or creepy, but wouldn't it be awesome if we could all actually meet in person somewhere?

      Delete
    3. i do think it would be interesting to meet! i worry that i will clam up and be so shy and red in the face though :/

      Delete