Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Words I have learned from my husband

scrimmage
sounds like: a scribble, another word for tussle, or a small amount of someone else's dessert
really means: its a football term for something, I'm not paying attention that much ;) usually said like "line of scrimmage"

dongle
sounds like: penis
really means: some kind of electronic device that plugs in a computer

Depending on my husbands mood, he either pauses to let me giggle or gets frustrated (but usually both). And he does say it often enough to be annoyed that I find it funny. Once, he was trying to vent about work, but then he said "dongle" and I giggled and he got mad and said, "why do all girls find that funny! I was trying to tell Emily (a coworker) about this problem and she had to laugh too"... he wanted to be taken seriously about his dongle. His Dongle, guys. DONGLE. Will never not be funny.

bezel:
sounds like: to turn around a corner sharply and almost losing your balance, the entry way of a bee hive
really means: frame around the tv screen

Yeah, I know. Not as interesting.

Any new words in your life that don't mean what they sound like?

7 comments:

  1. I find dongle hilarious too! Must be a girl thing ;-0 Scrimmage sounds a little like Scrum which they use in rugby over here (probably where it came from). I occasionally come across new words here still - the last one I remember is "scaffy" which is Scottish for garbage man. I keep meaning to do a weird Scottish words post. Bezel is new to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh please PLEASE do a post on weird scottish words!

      Delete
  2. I can't not laugh when someone says the word dongle. Who named it that, anyway??? Like shouldn't that have gone through product testing or something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. almost all the things i learn about electronics and programming seems so weirdly sexual. neil says it's just me but hello, DONGLE?

      Delete
    2. Well come on, they do it on purpose. I mean, calling plugs male and female ends....they know.

      Delete
  3. I. LOVE. THIS. POST.
    As soon as I saw the word dongle I was like "...so, penis" and then you wrote penis and it was perfect. ha ha ha That is exactly what it sounds like. New words are interesting. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT??? SO MUCH PENIS.
      I should ask him if he has learned any words from me...

      Delete