Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Weekend Snapshots | 4

This is a weekly link up hosted by 3twentysix and Reinventing Jess, you should link up too!


Okay, this weekend I think my neighbor finally finished his latest project. You know, like six months later. At first I thought it was another shed, but now I'm not sure. Church? Ha. (It's the yellow one. Never mind my rusty piece of crap shed in my yard). He is now making flower boxes (I think?). Will the hammering ever end. But really, how many sheds do you need? 

Saturday we celebrated our friend's bday and went out to a cocktail bar in Los Gatos (ooh being so fancy over here). The main bar was packed, but they had a heated tent set out in the beer garden, so we sat out there. The drinks were fantastic, and I wanted to eat a pail of their home made pickles. Found out one of our friends had never eaten an artichoke from the bud before, just as hearts on a pizza. It was funny seeing one try to figure it out for the first time. You live in California, how is this possible!!!

We then headed over to the store to get more alcohol and fixings for the next days dinner. Drunk grocery shopping is interesting.

We made more drinks at home, played mad libs and rockband, and my drunk ass passed out on the cushions.

The next day people came back over for football and wrestling (which was the Royal Rumble?) and more magic.

I made baked potatoes for everyone which came out great, I mean, how can you mess that up? You can't. Bob says we need to make the potato a yearly thing, like a tradition. So he kept yelling "happy potato day" and insisting that next year we have to have a potato head carving contest.

It was pretty exhausting to be honest, and as much fun as I had I need a quiet weekend!


11 comments:

  1. Drunk grocery shopping is the best!! There's a huge liquor store here in Houston (the largest in the world, actually) and they regularly have brand reps from different liquors handing out samples as you browse. Most of them show up on Fridays. I once got drunk while there shopping for alcohol for a party that night. Dennis had to drive me home.

    Your cat looks huge in your passed out picture. I'm starting to think she's bigger than you claim she is, lol.

    And potato carving should totally be a thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What? Largest liquor store in the world? I feel like this is a very Texas thing. I wonder how many people stop there on their way to other "largest X in the world" destinations. Hmm. And, since it is Texas, is it down the street from the "largest gun store in the world?" LOL Sorry, I had to make a joke about Texas and guns. Couldn't help myself. ;)

      Delete
  2. I'm thinking my cats are larger than I think, and I'm not as... "normal" sized as I think ;) Like, I don't feel that tiny in real life! But seeing photos of me... ha. It's weird. My mom says I've always been like that. Her friends wanted her to hold me back another year before I started school because I was so small, and my mom replied "yeah, but she doesn't know that".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember on "Friends" how Monica and Chandler were really well matched but Monica and Richard - he was really big compared to her, but on Magnum, P.I., Tom Selleck seemed normal sized? My point is this: normal sized is so relative. And also, think of this: Isabelle was the runt of her litter, but by far and away the most adventurous, the most playful, and just all-around the most personality. Not to compare you to a runt, but while you may be physically a little smaller, you have a big personality (in a good way) and it definitely comes through in photos and in your writing.

      Delete
    2. Ha! This is nice, thank you :) Though I guess technically, I am the runt of my siblings ;)

      Delete
  3. I tried to cook an artichoke for the first time this weekend, boiled it to death and it was gross- that artichoke looks much tastier! Jam packed weekend, I would also need a chill one after that! Your kitty is guarding your passed out self like a boss! :-) p.s. I want all of the cocktails!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, oh no! Well, I hope you will try to make them again, they are so tasty :)

      Toki loves it when I fall asleep downstairs, the other cat doesn't let her upstairs so she misses me all night.

      Delete
  4. Looks like so much fun!
    I recently had my aunt and uncle over for dinner (they lived in Cali for many years and now split their time between California and here) - and we were all talking about weird foods and my uncle's family eats the artichoke from the whole they way you described all the time, it's one of their go-to's, and the first time my aunt saw it she was weirded out and then my response was that I didn't even know there was a way to eat it other than just the hearts. So I'm guessing this might be a California thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg, you said "cali" that is so awesome and cringy at the same time ;) I do know that an artichoke is weird, my brother and I do wonder how anyone figured out it was edible. It's a thistle, and blooms into a beautiful purple flower thing. You have to boil it a bit, pull the leaves off, then scrape the white bits off with your teeth, until you get to the middle, then cut the choke out (that will be awful and irritate your throat) then you get to the heart that you can cut into pieces and enjoy. Maybe I should do a video... I've been eating them my whole life so it seems normal. There is a restaurant shaped like an artichoke somewhere here. Maybe in Castroville, I think that is where all the artichokes are grown.

      Delete
    2. I actually wrote "Cali" on purpose because I have been told I frequently include more back-story than is necessary, so I was trying to shorten the length of my comment and also, I knew I was going to write California again in about four words and I thought California twice in the same sentence only a few words apart seemed like a little too much.

      Delete
    3. Oh, and you should totally do an artichoke video! :)

      Delete