Monday, June 29, 2015

The Scotus Decision

Where to start. So many thoughts. Sorry if it's all a bit disjointed.

I agree with their decision. I don't feel this infringes or takes away any of my rights. Or anyone else's, either. I don't think this is anything to really be upset about.

I believe in religious freedom. But I also believe in separation of church and state.

Some people are claiming this is unconstitutional. Um, what? They did was say that banning gay marriage was unconstitutional. It's in the constitution already that their rights should be recognized. Those claiming "unconstitutional", do they not like the amendments to the constitution? Like the 14th one that addresses citizenship rights and equal protection of the laws? Or is "all persons" not really ALL PERSONS? They did not try to make any new laws about gay marriage, it was already there!

The old farts that wrote the constitution set up some great ideas, but they were also living in a era where you could own people and women couldn't vote. Hence the amendments. As we learn and grow, we adapt and make changes. ADAPT AND MAKE CHANGES. Cause if they got it right the first time we wouldn't have to keep amending the fucker. Think of it as a rough draft. They got some things right, but dude, not everything. There are 27 amendments, but the first 10 are considered part of the original constitution. So even they weren't satisfied with the original. I mean, like number 9, that seems like they knew there was stuff they probably hadn't addressed yet but was still important.

Not long ago, my husband and I wouldn't have been able to marry because of our different races even though we would have been consenting adult American citizens.

And the argument that marriage is for the purpose of procreating? Neil and I are not going to have children. So should our marriage be annulled?


And keep amendment NUMBER ONE in mind when you keep siting your bible as a reason why gay marriage isn't something you agree with.


Also: I think this article is pretty relevant to this weeks event.

The business issue also is a bit eye roll worthy. The whole christian bakers being forced to make cakes for gay weddings (I mean, is this really a thing to begin with???). My grandpa had his own construction business in the 50's and 60's building homes. In that era, it was a thing to have clients over for drinks and play bridge to woo them. Two clients came over for drinks and when they left, my grandma asked my grandpa "did they seem a little...funny to you?" and my grandpa said "they're a lot funny but their money is as good as anyone's". My grandpa may have been a lot of things, but he was a business man and had a business to run. I respect that. I don't understand people who can't separate their personal life from their work.

I don't know what I'm really trying to say. I believe in equal rights and I don't understand why we have to keep fighting for them.

2 comments:

  1. Oh God. Yes. Don't even get me started. I honestly can't imagine people who don't accept gay marriage, or think it's infringing on their own rights somehow. Like, child rapists who are imprisoned still have the right to marry? Men who beat their wives or kill people still have the right to marry. I honestly want to scream at people that Jesus was a liberal. This is my opinion. I truly feel like our job as humans is to (try) to be decent, even if we can't or don't understand, even if we don't necessarily agree, we should try to be compassionate, because...I think the one thing a lot of Christians forget is that God will sort it out in the end. It's not our job to be judge and jury.
    As far as the business thing...this bothers me. It's hard. I do believe in religious freedom but I strongly believe in separation of church and state, like you. It's hard for me because I feel like say, if a restaurant had THE. BEST. ONION RINGS. IN TOWN. but also had a frat boy atmosphere and a sign inside that said "no fatties" - well, I wouldn't eat there, no matter how freaking good the onion rings were. I wouldn't ask them to take down the sign, I'd just be like, "fine, you don't get my business." Jen Lancaster wrote in one of her books about when she and her husband were moving and they found the perfect house in the perfect neighborhood, but then learned that neighborhood had a ban on pit bulls. So it was a deal breaker. Nope. "If you don't want my dog, you don't get my tax dollars," was what she said. Of course, it's harder with things like medical insurance. But...I guess deep down I feel like if an employer offers medical coverage, they should not have the right to ask "why are you taking birth control?" "Why do you need a prescription for antidepressants?" I mean, I guess if you work directly for the church of Scientology, then they might wonder why you want antidepressants...but in general, I don't think they should have the right to ask. That is my opinion. Oy. I have worked hard to stay calm. This subject works me up because I hate when people are so...hateful. I mean, I hate stuff, but that's like, black jelly beans and shit. Not human rights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel it seems super simple when its the government and any government branches, but when it comes to businesses it gets murky. like, i try to think if i had my own small business, would i nitpick what i wanted to pay for and not pay in medical insurance? that seems weirdly personal with my employees. and if i made cakes, would i not want to make cakes for certain groups? like, if donald trump wanted me to make a cake, would i? or a Scientologist? i'm thinking i would just make the cake.

      Delete