Sunday, May 3, 2015

Sunday Confessions 5-3-15

Sunday Confessions

I've been trying to keep my meals about 80% vegetarian. That is an arbitrary guess, I just know I cook more meatless meals, and buy less meat. I couldn't/wouldn't go 100% for a few reasons: 
  1. Where would I get an ample amount of b12 without supplements (which I feel if you have to take supplements, the diet is wrong)? 
  2. My husband. He is an omnivore and there is no changing that. Notice I didn't say carnivore, he does eat and like vegetables. 
  3. I feel like if you can eat a mushroom, you should be able to eat a shrimp. In my mind they are not that far apart. Mushrooms are considered more like the animal kingdom than the plant one, and shrimp I feel are more closely related to insects, and who the fuck cares about killing a cockroach? Not me. So that's my thought process on mushrooms and shrimps being basically the same. You know, super scientific and stuff.
  4. I do not think I will ever be ready to give up my sour cream. Bitch, please.
My roommate has mentioned that she plans to retire and move out by next summer. It feels different than her saying this previously, like three years ago, that she was going to retire in two years, only work until she was 70 (she is going to be 71 now), and so forth. It feels more real, like she actually means it. Now I LOVE her as a roommate, I really couldn't have asked for a better one. She is the nicest, sweetest person I ever met. BUT, the introvert in me is relishing the idea of so much ALONE TIME! I will have owned the house five years by then, and will have had a roommate the entire time. I didn't have a roommate (only my husband) at the downtown apartment where we lived for 2.5 years, and I really miss that. So, I feel a little guilty how happy and excited I am about the prospect of only sharing the house with my husband. I am such a selfish person sometimes.

Sometimes I wish I had started blogging anonymously, there are so many things I feel are off limit to write about, and who to write about. So I feel like I am purposely creating a false profile of myself, but it really can't be helped. I mean, I never lie on here, but I do gloss over things, or just never mention things. I cry, get angry, annoyed, a lot more than I mention here. Not that I cry a lot. Just saying that it happens. Not that I'm referring to anything specific right now about crying, I just mean that I wish sometimes that I could just write and be more transparent and blogging anonymously seems like it would be so easy to do that. But then no selfies, so there's that.

*also, the amount of times I misspelled "anonymous" and misspelled it differently, was every time. I can't spell that word to save my life.

9 comments:

  1. I totally hear you on wanting to embrace your introvertedness (if that isn't a word it should be). I've been contemplating the notion of getting a roommate, but don't know if I could give up all that alone time, which I do enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if you don't *need* a roommate i would say dont get one... there are some amazing people out there but also not so amazing ones. i tried my brother as a roommate, and we get along so much better NOT roommates.

      Delete
    2. and introvertedness totally needs to be a word because i think i need to use it. often.

      Delete
  2. Yay for you on the roommate thing! I love my bro to death but I cannot wait until it's just me and Shawn and again. And I know 1000% what you mean about the anonymous blogging thing - there are so many things that get left out. But, then again. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i nearly did a visual happy dance when she said it but i'm not holding my breath just yet. her "two years until she retires" plan has lasted over three years now.

      i feel bloggin anonymously you still have to be careful what you share... changing names and stories a bit so it isnt obvious who you are. and that sounds like work.

      Delete
  3. You can have my dairy products when you pry them from my cold, dead hands....

    And, wow, your roomie is in her 70's?!? Talk about getting a different perspective on life from her! I am a horrible roommate and would hate to have someone living with us. Plus Jack is kinda like living with a drunk rock star. When he was a newborn, my husband would say it's a good thing you're cute, kid, because you stole my house, you stole my bed, and you stole my woman.....

    And, yes, anonymous blogging would be amazing!!!! We should all start an anonymous blog cooperative where we can share REAL stories about our friends and families without them knowing (so many times I've wanted to bitch about my truly wonderful MIL, my own mom, and my husband.....)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, sour cream? ice cream? butter? just... no...i can't.

      my roommate looks and acts WAAAAY younger than she is, its hard for me to remember that she is in her 70's. i hope i can be as tough as she is at that age :) she has definitely aged with grace! and i think i'm the bad roommate in this situation, i sometimes leave the kitchen a mess, we watch loud movies, have people over late...

      i think it feels like no matter how much you love and adore someone, you still need to rant and rave about them sometimes.

      Delete
  4. I can understand the desire to not want to take supplements, and nutritional yeast is a great vegan source of B12.

    That said, there's been a few studies that indicate the older people get, including animal eating humans, the more difficult it is to process b12. They recommend anyone over 50 supplement b12 because of this. I've heard a few people say you can get it from the dirt on your vegetables and such but with all the e coli and whatnot on veggies because they're grown in what is literally crap, I'm not not washing my veggies. I'd sooner take a supplement, TBH, even if I did eat animals.
    Also, factory farmed animals aren't spending time outside eating fresh grass getting all that good b12, so the meat you eat is more than likely low in it anyway.

    Also, mushrooms are a fungi, never heard that they were a crustacean. I don't know everything about neural pathways and shrimp being able to feel pain but as far as I know, I don't think there's much evidence regarding that with mushrooms.

    All that said, I applaud your decision to eat more meat free meals; meat is a huge part of the environmental problem and uses up an incredible amount of resources, not to mention the cruelty inflicted upon many of these animals. I'd still take a B supplement or eat nutritional yeast regularly if I were you, even if you don't go full-on veg. It's good for your brain and everything I've read seems to indicate that it's incredibly difficult to overdose on b12 unlike other nutrients, your body just pees away the excess. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for taking the time to comment! but i think you missed the tongue in cheek behind the message ;)

      Delete