Tuesday, May 5, 2015

PIna Colada with Coconut Whipped Cream

I wanted to make some "fancy" cocktails for game night so I decided to try to make some Piña Coladas
I added some toasted coconut around the rim, and some coconut whipped cream to top it off. I loved them, but my brother didn't like the texture of the drink. I also burnt the first batch of my toasted coconut... guess trying to pay attention for six minutes is too long :) It did make my house smell like I was making cookies, so that was a plus. Not burnt cookies... it smelled good actually.

Piña Colada (makes one drink)
pineapple juice (2 oz)
light rum (2 oz)
cream of coconut (2 oz)
crushed ice (4 oz)
frozen pineapple chunks (2 oz)

Whipped Coconut Whipped Cream
Can of cold coconut milk (put in the fridge the day before)
Powdered sugar (2 T)
Vanilla (1/2 t)

Toasted Coconut
Shredded Coconut (handful or so)

Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spread the shredded coconut on a foil covered sheet. Bake for 6 minutes or until brown. 

For the cream, chill a metal mixing bowl and the beaters until cold. Get the can of coconut milk (don't shake!) and scoop out the solids on the top and put into the bowl. There will be some juice on the bottom, don't use that. The Thug Kitchen cookbook recommends to use that for smoothies. Anyways. Add the sugar and vanilla and beat until it looks fluffy and whipped cream like. Not sure if I didn't beat mine long enough, but its more dense than regular whipped cream. But still yummy. I think I might add a tad more sugar next time and eat it with strawberries.

Wet the rim of the glass with some pineapple juice and dip into the toasted coconut. Throw all the ingredients for the piña colada into a blender and... blend. Pour into a glass and top with a dollop of the whipped coconut.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness these look freaking amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i thought they did! and so did two other people, but my brother and another friend were not a fan. for my brother it was a huge texture issue, and he let it sit until it separated, otherwise i would have finished his as well. oh well, no fancy drinks for him!

      Delete