Thursday, February 5, 2015

Some new TV I've just started watching...

Man Seeking Woman
I saw a brief commercial for this show after a teaser for It's Always Sunny new season (which is an awesome show, watch it). I don't normally find out about new shows before Neil so I was a bit tentative to ask him to add this to the list to record. I've been fired (not really but I don't have a great track record) from picking movies to watch at the theater so I wasn't sure about testing my luck on TV shows. If you liked the film Scott Pilgrim, you will like this, I'm sure of it. It's a bit more grown up in the subject matter, but it comes across like a real life comic book. LOVE IT so much so far. This is based off a book which I have added to my list to read.
Backstrom
Think grumpier, surlier House, and instead of a doctor he's a cop. Also has a bit of a film noir feel with the main characters flat delivery of his lines. This is also based on a book, actually a series of books. They are listed as "Scandinavian crime drama" which seems really specific. Is there are lot of books in that category? Either way, these too will be going on the list!
12 Monkeys
I love, love, LOVE the film of the same name so I was a bit wary of how the TV version would turn out. I didn't even know it had been made into a show until Neil clicked on it from our recorded list. I think it holds up pretty well on it's own. It's more new school comic book than old school comic book. If that makes any sense... Less cartoony. It seems like they are going more into depth into the story line and adding characters to help with the plot, so this keeps it interesting and different enough to be engaging. It can be a bit hard keeping track of the timeline, they do jump around quite a bit. The villains are definitely more sinister than the Bruce Willis edition as well!

9 comments:

  1. Haven't heard of any of these....but they all sound kinda cool!

    .:Marta:.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's not cool to admit a lot of TV watching, but I do like my TV :) a few of my shows are ending so trying out a few new ones.

      Delete
    2. Girl, I watch a TON of TV. Nothing to be ashamed of!

      Delete
    3. Ha, maybe one day i will put my entire list ;)

      Delete
  2. I have heard of all of these, but I haven't watched any of them - including It's Always Sunny. I have SO MANY shows to catch up on. So many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like Arrested Development, then Always Sunny should be on your list. It's full of really unlikeable characters doing stupid stuff :)
      I use to not watch that much TV (before my husband I didn't even have cable) but now I do!

      Delete
    2. You should definitely watch It's Always Sunny!!! I think you'd love it

      Delete
  3. I absolutely adore Jay Baruchel! I like my men nerdy. We don't have a TV right now, so I have to wait for shows to be available online, but all these look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No TV? I don't even know what that means :) Right now my husband and I are binge watching Breaking Bad, we are almost done and we only started 2 weeks ago... During one scene I was moved to tears then started laughing because my husband shouted at the tv "You didn't love her! You just liked getting high with her!!!" It was so funny to me that we were experiencing such different emotions at the same time ;)

      Delete