Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Vintage Perfume Bottles

When my maternal grandfather passed away when I was ten, my mom let me and my two older sisters divide up some of her mother's things (who had passed away a decade previous). Some of those items were some perfume bottles. I think there were enough for an even divide, though I really don't remember.

Through all my moves and my brief stint (this was about a total of ten years, before my current house that has seemingly acquired so much stuff! I blame the house, not me) at minimalism, I always held onto mine. I never bothered to research them before, but once I decided to photograph them for my blog I figured I should try.

I'm not that savvy on perfume or what keywords to use, but one bottle I had seemed the easiest to find information about. The shape and the type of plastic used for the lid gave me great starting points. I knew from the plastic that this had to be made in the 1940's or earlier (it seemed like a bakelite type plastic), and the the shape seemed fairly unique.
And score! It was really simple to find. This is a Tassel Cologne Wrisley vintage bottle. It came out in 1941 and was called "Gold Tassels" and retailed for $8 for a dozen or $1.50 each (according to the ads I found online). I was curious what that would be in today's money, and according to online inflation calculators, $1.50 of 2014 dollars would be worth about $24 in 1941. Right now people are selling this type of bottle online for about $10-$30. So even without the perfume, it has maintained a decent price. Not planning on selling mine, though!

There seems to be a few variations of the Gold Tassel bottle, so I can't be sure exactly what year this one was purchased (if they changed the bottle each year? No idea!), but it's nice to have a general idea.

When the mood strikes me again I should research the other bottles. It's fun knowing what little bit of history I own (unknowingly!).

4 comments:

  1. I love the history of things. And now you have that much more insight into what your grandma was like. Did she pick out the perfume herself or did someone give it to her? Was it a popular fragrance? It's amazing how many questions arise when you answer one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny to me that my grandma had so many perfume bottles. From the stories she seemed... not that feminine, more masculine! She was super petite (smaller than me even!), drank, smoked, cursed... She hung out in bars because she did accounting for them until she met my grandpa then they started a construction company where she was the bookkeeper. As for the perfume I'm going to guess it was pretty popular because there are so many versions of it that came out every year.

      Delete
  2. That's so cool. And I find it additionally cool that you know about different types (eras?) of plastic. I'd be all...um...plastic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, let's just add that to random info that I know that has no real purpose. Its really only modern plastic vs vintage plastic that I know. Like, I can't tell you the difference between plastic from the 80's vs now. I don't think so anyways...

      Delete