Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Marshmallow Treats: Cookie Butter

Sometimes when my mom would make Rice Krispie Treats, she would make the peanut butter version. Even though most of her kids were never really into peanut butter (until my younger brother came along who will have a jar of peanut butter and a can of pineapple chunks next to him at his computer. He even brought a jar of peanut butter and spoon with him on the way to the hospital to visit our mom one time. True Story), I remember enjoying the change of pace on the flavor. 

I didn't have any peanut butter on hand, but I did buy a jar of Cookie Butter and was wondering if it could easily be interchangeable. I'm not sure exactly why I bought the cookie butter, I had no plans for it and wasn't sure exactly what I would use it for. So I needed to come up with something!
Ingredients:
  • 6 cups of cereal
  • 5 T of butter
  • 1 cup cookie butter
  • 5 cups mini marshmallows
Directions:
  • Melt the butter over low heat
  • Add the marshmallows and stir until completely melted
  • Take the pot off the heat and mix in cookie butter
  • Stir in cereal
  • Place in buttered pan and let cool
I seem to always forget the trucker arm strength needed to stir the treats and the added cookie butter was no help! It was like trying to mix concrete. I'm assuming, anyway. I wasn't able to mix it as much as I liked, my arms were screaming in protest. But let's get to the important part, what is the verdict on taste?

I think this is a lovely winter cereal treat, with the gingerbread flavor! Despite being a pain to stir, it came out nice and chewy.

4 comments:

  1. Um, cookie butter? SOLD! Your brother and I would get along nicely. Have to try this recipe out!

    .:Marta:.

    petiteraisin.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it added to the chewiness of the treat :) I think I will make regular peanut butter ones next though, those are super tasty too.

      Delete
  2. I didn't even know cookie butter was a thing that existed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought it as a whim, I'm not really sure what you are suppose to do with it? Replace peanut butter or nutella? Apparently its one of trader joes big sellers.

      Delete