Monday, September 15, 2014

Wrestling

When I first met my husband he was into watching WWE which I was very critical and mean and judgmental. I had never known anyone who had watched it and it just seemed so silly and stupid. So he kind of stopped watching it much to my relief.

Then he made a friend that was into it and he started watching it again. 

I still think it's silly and stupid, but not in a mean way. It's just suppose to be fun, and I really love how much he and his one friend are into it. I will even sit there a bit and watch. But mostly to tease Neil about the shiny panties.

So when a show came to our city (non televised) he and his friend wanted to go and Neil asked me as a courtesy, fully expecting me to wrinkle my nose and say no thanks.

I said sure, why not?

I don't think I have ever seen him at a loss for words.
This lasted like two seconds but still, it counts.

So it becomes a group thing which I liked, because I didn't want to be the only girl.

And it becomes an all day thing. 
I was not expecting that. 

We meet up with two of the friends for lunch about 12:30. Mind you, the show doesn't start until six. We eat and hang out a bit. Then we go out to start walking towards the event center. We stop for ice cream. Still a bit early. Pass by a bar, decide to hang out there a bit before standing in line for our seats. I don't get carded for the second time in two weeks. Sad face.
The show was entertaining but I loved people watching the most. There was a father with two young girls (preteen?) in front of us and he had bought them the belt and some other souvenirs. Most girls are John Cena fans but these two little girls were part of the chant "Cena Sucks!" which was so funny. 

There was also a family that brought their son as a surprise. They were a bit late, but they had a blind fold on him and carried him down to the arena before taking it off. I'm sure with all the noise and music and chanting he was thoroughly confused. He just stood there not moving for what seemed like forever. He was in shock. Then he suddenly gives his mom a huge hug while his dad hands him a foam finger and a toy belt. He clutched those things so close to his chest! I wanted to cry he looked so happy!

Though I think it would be hard to top Eric's enthusiasm :)

So after the show, the day is still not over. We walk over to Original Joe's to get dinner. I don't get home until almost midnight! My introverted self needed some recharging stat.




4 comments:

  1. The part about the parents surprising their son had me tearing up!!

    I also think WWE is silly - my husband and I had a roommate that was a little too into it and I couldn't help but make comments about how homo-erotic the whole thing is....those comments were as much about his homophobia as how silly wrestling in shiny panties is.....your whole day sounded like a lot of fun, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that is kind of where my riffing went before but I think I was a little too mean about it :) At least that is what my husband said. Now i'm a lot more "gentle" in the teasing. But the tiny, shiny panties are so ridiculous! I think I had more fun people watching than watching the actual show.

      Delete
  2. At least it's a fun group thing. I once heard a guy define wrestling as "a soap opera for men." :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That's a pretty good description. It's grown on me, but I still don't sit and watch it, but i will make comments. I kinda hate that I've absorbed more than I've meant to though... I know too much!

      Delete