Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Bread Pudding with Whisky Sauce

This recipe is in my Better Homes and Garden cook book circa 1999 and I followed it verbatim. I never really thought that bread pudding would be something tasty, but since having it at Scramblz I have fallen in love! I don't know why I thought it would be gross, the ingredient list is everything I like. Its like cut up french toast.
 It seemed a bit plain with just the whiskey sauce so I added some raspberries. 
 I am very happy with how this turned out. This is something I wouldn't be embarrassed to make for other people. It tasted good and looked good :)

Next time I will make some whipped cream and a warm raspberry compote in addition to the sauce. I think that would really make this stellar!
BREAD PUDDING

Ingredients:
4 eggs
2 1/4 cups milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 TB vanilla
1/2 ts ground cinnamon
4 cups dried bread cubes

Instructions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Beat together eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Add bread and toss together, letting the bread soak a bit. Transfer to a greased baking dish.
  • Bake for 40-45 minutes. To check if it's done, insert a toothpick in the middle and if it comes out clean, time to take it out.

WHISKEY SAUCE

Ingredients:
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1 beaten egg yolk
2-3 TB Bourbon

Instructions:
  • Melt butter over medium low heat. 
  • Add sugar, egg yolk, and 1 TB of bourbon
  • Stir constantly for about five minutes or until the sugar is all dissolved and the mixture boils.
  • Remove from the heat and mix in additional bourbon (1-2 TB. I added two because I love whiskey)

No comments:

Post a Comment