Friday, February 14, 2014

Valentines 2014

Honest and straight to the point, I like it :)

I've been reading some negative thoughts about Valentines Day!

examples:

  • It's just a made-up holiday
  • It was created by hallmark to force people to buy crap aka corporate bullpoopsies
  • You shouldn't be forced to be romantic on any one day
  • Too much pressure to live up to
  • General feelings of loneliness, insecurity, depression and feeling unwanted
Personally, I LOVE ALL THE HOLIDAYS. The more made up the better! Cinco De Mayo anyone? And, really, aren't all holidays "made up"? Someone had to decide that something was worth celebrating every year, give it a name and attach traditions to it. And you know whats really awesome? Traditions are FLUID and morph and change with time and individuals.

Holidays break up the monetany that is life. Without them every day would be the same, how boring is that? It really is awesome to have these days to look forward to and do silly things as a community.

I celebrate the big V day like I did in elementary school. I have not one romantic thought affiliated with it. To me it's all about decorating your work in pink and red, wearing themed clothing, eating ALL THE CANDY, giving gifts to your friends and coworkers... Sounds like fun to me!

I am never disappointed with the holiday because I celebrate it the way I like. I don't put expectations on anyone else. I am not waiting for someone else to celebrate it for me. I take the reins, bitches!

I really don't care if any one buys me anything. I love putting together little gifts with a theme and giving them. I love buying candy and putting out a bowl for my coworkers to graze on all day. I love wearing specifically themed tee shirts for specific days.

So what am I doing this year?
This year my husband and I got Chinese food at King Egg Roll and invited some friends over to eat with us. Valentines is friends day!

Don't let this day make you bitter :) 

4 comments:

  1. What a great post! Love your awesome attitude about it! Truth be told, I don't celebrate Valentine's at all, mainly because I just do not care. But this is a really great way to look at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get not celebrating things because it isn't your cup of tea, but I guess I don't understand hatred and bitterness towards holidays, that is weird to me.

      Delete
  2. I used to think I wanted the "traditional" Valentine's day with flowers, chocolates, stuffed animals, romance, candlelight dinner, blah, blah, blah. It turns out I just wanted to rent a movie and eat a heart shaped pizza. Oh, and candy, lots of candy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, candy for every holiday!!! Really, it's the best part :D
      I went through an "anti valentine" phase for a bit, but I questioned myself on it as to why did I hate it? When did I start hating it? And I think that was once I was a teenager and the point of the holiday changed, and the expectations. Once I went back to my viewpoint from elementary school, the holiday was fun again!

      Delete