Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Bentos: January 2014

garlic pasta with bacon, canned sliced beets, broccoli florets

Sometimes I add stuff to my lunch that wasn't part of dinner. For this bento it was the broccoli, that is why it is still frozen. It thaws before lunch, then I stick the whole thing in the microwave. If I am using one of these tupperwares, I make sure all the food needs to be the same temperature. So either all hot or all cold.

 salmon, broccoli, rice, tomatoes, lemon slices, blackberries


As you can see for this container, I can take out all of the cold items and just microwave the hot portion. This takes just a little bit of planning and figuring out what to put in all the little dividers.


baked drumsticks with seasoned salt, tangerine and blackberry salad, yogurt


I decided to eat the chicken cold... I really should have took the time to take it off the bone and put it on a bed of lettuce. That way I could have had a vegetable!


 french bread cubes, carrots, grapes, mascarpone cheese


I forget that a lot of soft cheese upsets my stomach and this was too much. Whoops. It was tasty though. It doesn't look like the containers hold very much but they do.


boneless skinless chicken thigh, green beans, grapes, carrots, mustard, flan


This photo came out a bit blurry... too bad because I really liked how this one came out. Plenty of vegetables therefore lots of color!

10 comments:

  1. Definitely investing in some of these!! Any reference as to where to get the one with removable containers when you have hot and cold items?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my favorite bento so far! I love how modular it is, this is the link: http://en.bentoandco.com/collections/modern-boxes/products/shikiri-bento

      Delete
  2. You are giving me lots of great ideas for lunches. Incidentally, are the Green Goodness Boathouse Farms yummy or is it more something that is just okay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love the boathouse farms: now the green goodness takes a bit of getting used to especially if veggies are not your thing, but I feel the mix with fruit really helps temper it. Also: needs to be very cold, once it starts to warm up, not so great.

      Delete
    2. Also: I only finish about 2/3 of the green goddess one while I will down the chai one in two seconds flat. I only buy them on sale so I don't feel so bad about not finishing it, but it isn't as "fun" as the other flavors. I drink water mostly, so I don't buy them often, so once I do my tongue gets all excited at flavored drinks :D I need to learn to drink the goddess one faster so it doesn't get warm and gross.

      Delete
  3. I liked that how this relates to all those questions I asked about packing lunches =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will still do another post that details more of how I balance shopping and fresh vs frozen vs canned items :)

      Delete
    2. Also: it helps when I get asked questions because it makes me think about the process more.

      Delete
    3. Yeah I never really thought about packing food that needs to be heated up in a different container. Sometimes the Mr. Bento is nice, but lately trying to eat more veggies which take up a lot of room. I did find frozen cooked chicken breast from Tyson that is cubed already that I can toss into salads that will defrost by the time I eat. It's like the best thing I've found so hard =)

      Delete
  4. I like how you also pack foods in containers separately that need to be heated up. I like my Mr. Bento but it's really hard to pack a lot of veggies into it. I really feel it's more typical Asian style meals that is grain of some sort, soup that probably contains veggies and maybe meat, protein dish and a side dish of cooked veggies and a small piece of fruit. Right now I am trying to do the 2 veggies: 1 protein: 1 starch portions. Still trying to figure the best way to execute that.

    ReplyDelete