Monday, January 27, 2014

Strange Wardrobe Covet: The Wedge Sneaker

 
I wish I could be super brave and go full fashion with these! I love pink and yellow together.

 I am by no means fashion forward or really, lets be honest, fashionable in any way (my younger sister would be the first to tell you that). But every so often, I get a hankering to add some pizzazz to my wardrobe. And for whatever reason, the wedge sneaker has caught my eye of late.

But I won't be satisfied with just any wedge sneaker, oh no. For some reason I have a very specific look that I want to go for in this style. 

There are a lot of options out there, but what I am looking for is: funky, a bit clunky, defined and slightly concaved wedge, decent price, casual/day look, preferable not suede, cute toe-box (not elongated looking), and a muted color scheme to balance out the fashion forward styling. I know, I know. Way to much thought into a shoe that I am most likely not even going to buy!


Let's get to some examples.
Simple color scheme? Check. Funky and casual? Check. Good material? Check. But that is all the boxes these check. There are too many other "problems". See how the ankle and wedge are really clunky? And the wedge is not that well defined and is just straight? Plus the PRICE. UGH. Moving on.
I like the Velcro strap in the front that gives it that funky look, the wedge is defined and concaved, the ankle doesn't look like it is too much... But. The look is a little simple, just not enough funk, and the color is not great at all. I could forgive the suede, but once again that PRICE. Not worth it.


These are adorable! I really like these ones. The only problem is that these are not as casual or funky as the other ones. If I were to go on a wedge sneaker spending spree, these would be my second buy, to have a pair that is more fit for a dressier outfit. These just do not seem to have as casual of a look to them. I would style these with a loose white top (maybe with a simple black graphic on it), and ankle skinny jeans with a bit of an "edge" (like moto or pleather). I only have one of those items so it is an outfit that I wouldn't even be able to put together.
So far these are the best fit, despite the suede part. I like the color, the wedge, the tab (though I think the tab could be a little thicker)... The studs are not ideal. But of all the wedge sneakers that I have come across, these are the closest to what I want. Plus they are on sale!

But if I were pressed to make a purchase today? I think I would buy the Target ones even though those are not the specific look I am going for at this moment. And they are not as out of my comfort zone, which is what I am trying to go for in my head.

Now, am I going to buy them? Nope. One small reason is that I am on a spending freeze. But the main reason is that I don't think I would actually wear them. I would like to think I would, but I usually chicken out on things like this. I love looking at Polyvore outfits and pinning them, but my actual wardrobe is not very pinnable at all. I would really like to venture out of my fashion bubble, but I have made some awful choices in the past that make me cringe now, so that keeps me hesitant. Maybe once my spending freeze is over and I have mulled it over in my brain some more, I will take some risks.

I have wasted so much time on something so very stupid. This could be said about most of the time I spend on the internet but this is especially ridiculous. So much thought into something I'm not even planning on buying!

2 comments:

  1. I really dig those pink and yellow ones! But subtlety has never been my forte. It can be so much fun to pretend shop. I'm constantly filling up online shopping carts and then pretend passing out at how much the total comes to. Even if I were to win the lottery, I'm not sure I would spend that kind of money on clothes, but it sure is fun to pretend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fake internet shopping is like my ultimate favorite thing to do. I do the same thing with filling up the carts! I don't think that I actually WANT all the stuff, it's just fun pretending to accumulate it? I really don't know, because I don't think I would be happy with that big of a closet. The more stuff you have, the less happy you are with it.

      But seriously, those pink and yellow sneakers? Adorable! If I could find that color scheme in a more simple shoe, like a ballerina, I will prolly buy those!

      Delete