Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Chewy Scotch Squares

These are a family favorite. My mom had gotten the recipe from my grandma but we didn't know where she had gotten the recipe until I looked around on the internet. Apparently this recipe was the winner in the 1952 Pillsbury Baking Contest so I'm sure it made the rounds in the magazines of the day.
Anyway, my grandma makes the best desserts and this is no exception. Most people look at you quizzically when you mention these, because they had never heard of them, but everyone ends up liking them. It really isn't a great name at all.
These are just ooey gooey loveliness and my all time favorite homemade cookie. They involve one of my favorite jellies: apricot, but you can substitute any jelly of your choice.


Recipe:

  • Preheat oven to 300.
  • Cover a baking sheet with foil, spray the foil with cooking spray or butter. This is very important! Otherwise you will have to spend forever getting foil off of the cookies/bars. Yes I have done this.
  • Mix all the dry ingredients, except for the oatmeal, put aside.
  • Melt butter over medium-low heat. Add brown sugar. Mix until dissolved.
  • Turn off the heat and mix in jelly.
  • Add the oatmeal.
  • Add the dry mixture.
  • Pour into the center of the pan and shape a 6x9 rectangle, the dough will spread during baking. 
  • Bake for 25-30 min, let cool.The finished product should look like my second picture, kind of like a large pancake.
  • Sprinkle with powdered sugar and cut into squares. I usually store them in a plastic container with wax paper separating the layers.

2 comments:

  1. Okay, I am so definitely making these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just make sure they cool a bit before putting on the powdered sugar. And spray the foil!!! I didn't do that this time and trying to get off all the foil was so annoying!

      And if you end up not liking them (though I really hope this doesn't happen) I apologize for having weird tastes :(

      Delete