Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Beer Cheese Fondue


Ingredients:
1 cup Swiss Cheese
2 1/2 cups Sharp Cheddar
1 TB cornstarch
1 cup Blue Moon Ale
1 TB Dijon Mustard
A few drops of Worcestershire Sauce
2 minced cloves of garlic

I am still a novice when it comes to fondue, so these measurements are estimates. You may have to add more beer and cheese to get the consistency you want. Always start off with less, you can always add more later. This is great advice for the mustard and garlic, which may be too much for some people, or not enough! 

Shred your cheese if you are doing it by hand. Mix it with the cornstarch. Coat well! Since I grated my own cheese this time, it melted much quicker since my grater grates everything super fine. I wasn't expecting that! I remembered that my last fondue seemed to take forever to melt.

Boil your beer and garlic.

Reduce to simmering, than add the cheese in small handfuls, stirring in a figure 8 pattern. This is when you will have to see if you will need more beer and/or cheese.

Once you have added all the cheese and it's all melted together, add the mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Add more to taste. (Some people add a bit of hot sauce, pepper and/or nutmeg as well. Add whatever you think would taste good!)
We had sausages, cauliflower and pretzels for our dippers.

4 comments:

  1. If I ever manage to have people over for dinner (i.e. I've gotten the house unpacked), I'll definitely be using this receipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fondue is a such a fun, communal thing, though I think it works for small groups best. Beer and cheese, how can you go wrong?

      Delete