Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Greek Meatballs and Tzatziki Sauce

I found this recipe via Cook Better Than. The ingredients sounded really yummy together and of course I forget some when I went shopping! I forgot the dill and shallots. Super sad. I feel like the dill would have really added something so I will have to try this again with it. 
So my changes: no dill, no shallots, turkey instead of chicken, baked instead of grilled, and meatball size instead of patties. Only some of these changes were on purpose!

Ingredients

For the Sauce
Half a cucumber, peeled, seeds removed
1 TB fresh mint
1 TB fresh parsley
Zest and juice of half a lemon
1 clove of garlic
1 cup plain Greek yogurt

For the Meatballs
About 1.5-2 lbs of ground turkey
2 TB fresh mint
2 TB fresh parsley
1 TB fresh oregano
1 TS salt
2 cloves garlic
2 ribs celery
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
1/3 cup crumbled feta
Zest of half a lemon
Drizzle of olive oil
Fresh ground black pepper
Sauce: I cut the cucumber into small pieces, but next time I'm going to put it in the food processor. You then have to wring out all the water that you can. Mince all the fresh herbs, micro plane the garlic, and mix all of this with the yogurt. Add salt and pepper to taste. This can be made ahead, which I think would be a good idea to let all the flavors meld together.
Meatballs: Pre-heat oven to 350. Chop and mince and micro plane the ingredients and mix together. Form into balls and cook for about 20-25 min.
I really liked the sauce and I am kicking myself for forgetting the dill! I needed that for another recipe too. I guess that one will have to wait!

I decided to make a "fancy" drink to go with dinner. I had some sparkling soda left over from my housemates 70th birthday party, so I poured that into a glass and topped it with some mint leaves.



6 comments:

  1. YUM!! I've never tried Greek meatballs, but that will soon change after seeing this recipe! thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These came out really good :) I thought the feta would be weird but it complimented all the flavors really nicely.

      Delete
  2. I love Tzatziki never thought to pair it with Meatballs. Now I must try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like making meatballs cause they are easier to portion out and they just look cute on a plate :) So I'm always looking for new sauces to go with them!

      Delete
  3. Oh this looks so yummy! Next time you make it I can bring over fresh dill! Then we can split the sauce up. I love Tzatziki on sandwiches with tomatoes, lettuce and roast beef =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should! You are so much better at the prep than I am :) I will have to try it on a sandwich.

      Delete