Thursday, June 20, 2013

What is Turtle up to...

 There is a turtle in that cave... trying to dig under the house apparently.
I had to place the pavers there to provide some support, I didn't want anything crashing down on him while I moved things.
Hey guy, how about we don't do that? Good boy, move along. 

Doesn't look like much in the photo, but it was over seven inches deep, and two feet wide, and he had just barely started! Luckily I was able to hear the scratching in the living-room, so I came out to see what he was up to.

They are suppose to be terrific diggers but I have been fortunate that he seems fairly lazy. He usually just makes really shallow holes in places that are already cave like, such as under bushes. This was his first serious digging venture!

I think they can dig up to five feet, which is really amazing. Hopefully he never feels the need to dig that deep in my yard!

4 comments:

  1. Very cool! Whatcha gonna name him/her? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His real name is Aries, but I just call him turtle (even though he is a tortoise).

      Delete
  2. That's pretty awesome. I think Turtle was digging himself a nice little nest in the cool dark of the under space there. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a desert tortoise, he really doesn't like getting too hot!

      Delete