Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Microwave Caramel

I have made caramel on the stove top before with wonderful results, but I needed a sugar fix and I didn't have the patience to do it the long way. So hello Pinterest. So you know how that usually goes. 


Recipe adapted from this site.

1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup light karo syrup
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
Splash of vanilla
Pinch of salt

Coarse salt for sprinkling

Melt butter in the microwave.
Mix in all other ingredients except for the vanilla and coarse salt.
Set microwave for seven minutes, removing the mixture every 2-2.5 min to stir.
Last round, add vanilla.
Pour into prepared pan. I buttered my pan a bit and lined it with waxed paper. Do NOT do this. Use parchment or just pour straight into the buttered pan. Waxed paper was NOT A GOOD IDEA.
Leave out to cool (or place it in the fridge to cool. The reviewers say not to leave it in the fridge for too long)
Don't decide to go online for a bit to pass the two minutes because this can happen. Unless you are better at paying attention than I am. I'm thinking a larger vessel would also be better.
Que lastima :(
I wanted my caramel to cool faster so I placed it in a large pan. If you want thicker caramels, I would suggest putting it in something like a 9x9 or smaller.


So what did I do wrong? 

  • Microwaved for TOO long. I think I ended up doing seven minutes. WRONG.
  • Poured it onto wax paper. Ugh. The candy stuck to it and would not peel off! Which was okay anyways considering the candy had hardened to cement status.

So my caramel came out hard and inedible. The bits that I ate before it hardened were delicious though, so I will be trying this one again. 

4 comments:

  1. I've made plenty of recipes that turned out not so great so you live and you learn! I've always wanted to make caramel at home so I need to try it! Thanks for sharing what not to do! Glad you linked up with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured someone could learn from my mistakes :) Such a bummer though, waste of yummy ingredients!

      Delete
  2. I have one or a few of those instances ;) no sweat just adjust and try again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so sad! I should have just tried again right after, but I was too disappointed :/

      Delete