Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Lemon Coleslaw

I served this on a pretzel bun with some deli meat and side of lemon quinoa with currants. I bought the bread and quinoa from Whole Foods. Should have looked at the ingredients in the quinoa... it had scallions and red bell pepper. So of course Jellybean was not a fan. Whoops :( I cut up some cheddar and Swiss cheese for him to make up for it. That guy loves his cheese.
Adapted from this Epicurious Recipe

Dressing:
1 1/2 T mayo
1/4 t lemon zest
2 t lemon juice
1/2 t sugar
1 1/2 T water
1/8 t salt
pepper (couple of grinds)

2 cups green cabbage
1 carrot
1/4 cup cilantro


Chop cabbage into small pieces, combine with grated carrot and chopped cilantro.
This grater is one of my favorite things in my kitchen. I don't use it often, but I totally need to. So far I've used it on Parmesan cheese, carrots, ginger, garlic... As long as you clean it right away this thing is a dream. Fluffy carrot!
For dressing: whisk all the ingredients until sugar is dissolved. Pour over salad and mix.
This tasted really good on the deli meat sandwich, but I think it would taste even better on a hamburger or pulled pork sandwich.


I think the next time I make this I will make the cabbage pieces smaller, maybe using a food processor, and adding a little more cilantro. I love me some cilantro.

8 comments:

  1. YUM! What a fun twist to a sandwich! So glad you linked up with Jess and I! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!! I love this version of coleslaw!! I can't wait to try it! Thanks for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think using the lemons from my own tree really made a difference in the lemon flavor. I plan on making it a few more times this summer!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. i like it and my husband liked it so a win for me :) he can be really picky

      Delete
  4. That looks delicious! I'm not normally a fan of coleslaw, but this sounds pretty good. I agree that cheese can fix just about anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most coleslaw's are too sweet or have too much mayonnaise, so I liked making my own so I can control those two things.

      Delete